This book distills 25 years of research, providing new data on their use, their success rate, their long history, why and when they were adopted and what this means for Newsom and his challengers on September 14. The book is available for download here and will soon be available in paperback:
- Among the subjects covered:Detailed examinations of all 48 state-level recalls in US history
- In-depth look at the Governors Gray Davis/Arnold Schwarzenegger, Scott Walker and Lynn Frazier recalls
- Stats on the last 10 years of recall elections Comparisons of different recall laws in each state
- The four different styles of recall elections
- The shocking finding of whether special elections make a recall more likely to succeed
- The impact of the technological revolution on the recall What the recall tells us about the increase in bitter partisanship and a preference for a more democratic system.
We will also look at some noteworthy recalls such as:
- Fighting the KKK and Segregation
- Dianne Feinstein's recall as San Francisco Mayor
- Recalls against Mayors of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, Omaha and Miami-Dade
The book also provides some conclusions on whether the recall is a positive in America and whether its use actually benefited the people launching a recall.