San Diego City Council approved numerous changes to the recall law that will revamp their troubled provisions:
• The amount of time to collect signatures was doubled from 60 to 120 days.
• A supplemental period in which recall proponents could gather more signatures, if they didn't have enough when the petitions were filed, was removed.
• The time given to the city to schedule an election, if the recall qualifies, was increased to 180 days.
• A recall drive registered with the City Clerk's Office will require five proponents who live in, or vote in, San Diego.
• Recall efforts will not be allowed against an elected official whose term is scheduled to end within six months.